SPINACH & GARLIC ROULADE Oh! so Garlic!
8 servings as an appetizer
2 – 10 ounce packages fresh baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoon Oh! so Garlic! Seasoning, or to taste
9 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 eggs separated
1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 – 2 ¾ ounce packages of Boursin cheese
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or more as needed
15 ounces crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon Traditional Italian Seasoning
1. Line two 13 x 9 baking sheets with sides, with parchment paper.
2. Preheat oven to 350˚F
3. Poke a couple of holes in each packet of spinach leaves and cook in the microwave on high until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove from bags and, using a food processor, pulse until the spinach is roughly chopped. Place in a large bowl, add the Oh! so Garlic! Seasoning, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, lemon rind and egg yolks.
4. In another large bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold the spinach mixture into the egg whites, gently but thoroughly. Divide the mixture between the two baking sheets. Place in the oven and bake until just firm but spongy to the touch, about 18 minutes. Meanwhile, soften the Boursin with the cream.
5. While the roulades are cooking, make the sauce. Place the tomatoes and the Traditional Italian Seasoning in a medium saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
6. Remove the cooked roulades from the oven, one at time, turn onto a board on which you have set a clean sheet of parchment. As quickly as possible, peel off the lining parchment, spread with the cheese mixture and roll up, starting with the long side. (To expedite this process, do not spread the first roulade with cheese but gently roll it, using the clean parchment to guide it. Repeat this process with the second roulade. Immediately unroll the first roulade, spread it with the cheese mixture and roll up. Repeat with the second roulade.)
7. Gently place both roulades onto a clean platter. (If desired, you may sprinkle with additional Parmesan and return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes.)
8. To serve, slice the roulades crosswise and serve immediately, accompanied by the sauce, or later at room temperature. This dish can also be chilled and reheated in the microwave.