EGGPLANT PASTA CASSEROLE Basil & Garlic Oil
Serves 8 450ºF oven
6 cups (½ inch) cubed eggplant (about 1 to 1½ pounds)
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 ounce pancetta, chopped
2 cups thinly sliced onions
¼ cup Basil & Garlic Oil
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons Oh! so Garlic! Seasoning
1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
16 ounces of uncooked penne pasta
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Fontina cheese
1 (3inch) piece of French bread (2 ounces)
½ cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1. Arrange eggplant on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon kosher salt; let stand 15 minutes. Pat dry with additional paper towel.
2. Arrange eggplant in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring after 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet; cool.
3. Cook pancetta in a Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Add onion, Basil Garlic Oil, & Oh! so Garlic! bits. Add remaining salt, crushed red pepper and diced tomatoes. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; partially cover and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in eggplant.
4. Cook pasta according to package directions, drain reserving ¼ cup cooking water. Add pasta and reserved water to tomato mixture; stir well. Spoon pasta mixture into a 13 x9 inch baking dish that has been greased. Sprinkle with Fontina.
5. Place baguette in a food processor; pulse until coarse crumbs measure 1½ cups. Mix parmesan into the crumbs; sprinkle evenly over Fontina.
6. Bake for 12 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.