CHEESY POTATO TOTS Shallots, Scallions & Leeks
Makes about 50
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
½ cup Shallots, Scallions & Leeks Seasoning
½ cup sour cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon kosher salt or more, to taste
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl and smash with a potato masher.
2. Add the Shallots, Scallions & Leeks Seasoning, sour cream, cheddar cheese, salt and pepper, stir until well combined. Form the potato mixture into 2 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap the logs separately with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
3. Fill a Dutch oven one third full with oil and heat over medium high heat until a deep frying thermometer registers 350˚F. Place flour, egg mixture and Panko bread crumbs in separate bowls.
4. Remove the plastic wrap from the potato logs and cut each log into ½ inch pieces. Working in batches, dip potato bites into the flour, coating evenly and shaking off the excess. Then dip them into the egg mixture, coating evenly and allowing the excess to drip off. Finally, coat evenly with the Panko bread crumbs. Transfer the potato bites to a parchment lined baking sheet until oil is hot.
5. Working in batches, fry the potato bites, turning them occasionally, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the potato bites to a paper towel lined baking sheet to drain, then sprinkle with salt & pepper to taste.