CANDIED ALMONDS Maples Bacon Sugar
1/2 Cup Maple Bacon Sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1 egg white
1 lb whole, raw almonds
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. To a small mixing bowl, add both sugars, cinnamon, salt and ginger and stir to combine. Set aside.
3. Add egg white to a larger mixing bowl and beat with hand mixer until frothy. Add vanilla bean paste and beat again to combine. This can be done with a whisk, but will take longer.
4. Add almonds to bowl with the egg whites and stir to combine. Add sugar mixture and stir again to combine.
5. Spread almonds out in a single, even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour, stirring almonds every 15 minutes.
6. After almonds have baked an hour, taste one almond to check for desired crispiness. Adjust baking time per your tastes.
7. Let almonds cool, uncovered.
6. Nuts can be served warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks.